Friday 3 March 2017

Nunc at Tump Folk

       Last night(Thursday) Nunc completed a busy week as the featured Guests at The Tump, nowadays based in The Humber Hotel,Coventry. Previously, it was homed in other venues including the original setting in Brinklow ,Warwickshire. (Hence the name). Always a friendly club,wherever it was, with a loyal cohort of regulars and presided over regally by Karen Orgill.  It was an honour and a privilege to play this venue again as the Main Guests. (The first time I did so was with Black Parrot Seaside, many years ago now).
     It had been a busy six days for us, with a set at the (nearby) Twisted Barrel Brewery Tap last Friday, a little cameo from John Kearney and I at the final Sly Old Dogs at Wood Farm on Sunday, and our stint at Nuneaton Folk Club Wednesday night. Frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way. What Nunc are doing is a whole new departure for me,and although we work hard on rehearsals (yes..we do,Karen Orgill!), the end result is an absolute blast for us, and increasingly, audiences seem to like it. This is absolutely no reflection on the various BPS members, but I'm having more fun now than I ever was-and it seems, doing  gigs more regularly too. That's not a criticism-just evolution I guess.  Though we mostly do covers and rearrangements of other people's work nowadays, last night we managed to include one of my songs and one of my sisters. Both well received. 
      The Humber holds lots of memories for me. I grew up in the area and as a kid I played on the park just round the corner. Later, in a brief period working for The Parks Department of Coventry City Council, I mowed all the parks and grass verges in the area-and there were plenty. I spent my last night as a single man drinking in the Humber with workmates. My dad and my Uncle Bill worked across the road in the massive,long since demolished assembly shops and factories of  Stoke Works of The Rootes Group. 
      Nowadays the area is a mix of old artisans houses and newer stock. Many are Student Lets, as Coventry University is just a short walk away. Where steam locos once shunted and assembled goods trains at Gosford Green Depot, the tracks are long gone and a Primary School stands on the site. 
         The Tump in its current home is a lovely club. In recent memory I've seen it absolutely rammed:a big concert room, filled to overflowing:the stage piled high with guitar cases and music stands.  The car park congested and the streets around full of customers' cars. That was for a Rod Felton Memorial Night,when  I had the honour of singing the Great Man's lovely song "Curly",accompanied by BPS and David Parr.
      Last night was a much cosier occasion. I knew all but a few in the room,and even in their previous format,Nunc had already done an extended floor spot here. So it was like a home from home. Very informal with a high standard of banter and heckling. The beer was good, and reasonably priced. The radiators were on,and the bar staff were friendly. The Tump is a little jewel and it deserves more support, more regularly. 
       Besides the two sets we did, music was also provided by Campbell Mckee, Max Wright, Nigel Ward, Rob Oakey and the wonderful Terry and Jan Wisdom aka "Highly Strung."   Max had brought his banjo and did a few songs including "Putting On The Style. " Campbell was extraordinarily upbeat-I think his overseas trips are doing him the world of good. He did Donovan's "Catch the Wind," and Lal Waterson's "Mole in a Hole." 
     Nigel sang a song and played some lively instrumentals on his fiddle. Rob Oakey too was in lively  mood and good voice. He did "Homeward Bound", a Woody Guthrie number and "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde."
      Before performing second half,, Terry and Jan proudly handed me their DVD (which I'd been looking forward to playing since they first told me about it). Alas, as yet I have been unable to play it!  I had hoped to feature their work on "Anker Folk" so as to bring their talents to a wider audience.Terry's sparkling guitar work is always complimented by Jan's immaculately timed rhythm guitar and her immaculate pitch. Terry is approaching 80 this year and he's bloody annoyed about it, but it is always lovely to see these two. Long ago once gave up Folk but thankfully were persuaded back into it again. They are  still cutting the mustard and putting some of us younger performers to shame with their energy and enthusiasm.  At my request they did "One Meatball," and also gave us a few other treats including "Rocking hair."
        Thanks to Max Wright we may well be sticking our first effort up on You Tube soon. Over the two sets we sang 18 songs-and still they wanted more. So we finished with our Irish Reggae version of "Dont Worry/Irish Rover."  Making it nineteen at all. We tried to mix it up a little, with some Trad.Arr. some comedy and Flossy's gorgeous rendition of "Ae Fond Kiss" thrown in to stimulate the tear ducts. ( Campbell has been known to break down playing or listening to certain songs-I thought we had him for a moment, but his eyes were only watering because he had trapped his little finger in a ring pull. 
 

Full Set List

First Half:

Twas on an April Morning 
Black Jack David
Downtown
Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy
After The Goldrush 
The Call 
Albert Balls 
John Ball 
Cold Haily Windy Night 
When I Get To The Border/Soldier Soldier

Second Half;

Down Where The Drunkards Roll
Weather With You 
Ae Fond Kiss
All Gotta Die Some Day 
Angel from Montgomery 
Bring it On Home To me
Perfect 
All The Good Times 
Don't Worry/Irish Rover