Friday 16 March 2018

All now in order at The Larder

        After a  burglary earlier this year,this delightful venue had to close for refurbishment. Heartless thieves attacked this lovely themed cafe in Atherstone's main street and it took a while to clean up the damage caused by these callous intruders. Over the last few weeks it has been getting itself right again and on Tuesday this week,with it newly reopened, I motored over for a spot of afternoon Cafe Cabaret there.
      It had been a long time since I had last dropped in there, because of the increasing workload involving in getting Nuneaton Folk Club, whilst  based at The Crown, ready during the first week of every month. I had missed a lot of sessions. Now NFC  have moved to The Queen's Hall, hopefully my first Wednesdays will be free again and I can perhaps join them more often?
       They seem to have recovered well and apparently people have been very kind by donating wartime memorabilia to replace those items damaged or stolen. It's a quirky venue. There's a comprehensive and nostalgic menu. Diners come and go, circumnavigating the players and singers, as they enter, and then sitting with a mug of tea, or munching spam fritters or sausage butties as the entertainment goes on around them. 
  It's always been a very hospitable and friendly place, so it was good to see them open and up and running again. The High Street I am told, has not been the same without them.  I sat with Ian Bourne. He has been really poorly until quite recently so it was good to see him out and about and on the road again.With Phil Benson also poorly, Ann and Steve Beeson hosted. Those also singing included myself,  Pete McParland and a couple from Kingsbury whose names I never did catch. 

         Ian did a typically enigmatic selection of songs,delivered in that  wide range  which is characteristic of his vocal style and lively performance. His version of the abrasive Gretchen Peters  song "Hello Cruel World" was particularly effective. It was great to see and hear him again.
        Steve and Ann did a wide ranging selection too,opening with an early Incredible String Band number "Painting Box." Those who have may have blanched at the ISB's later weirdness would probably find this simple love song perfectly innocuous. Steve and I share a fondness for the ISB's in all their 5,000 or layers  of that particular onion..Songs like this and "Witches Hat" prove only that their versatility and appeal is timeless. It was nice to hear Ann singing solo-her delivery of a song featuring a well known John Masefield poem was nicely done. We should hear her solo more often. 
         Having shared a stage with Pete McParland only the previous evening, it was good to see the old boy out on the road again. He had obviously decided to set aside the Isopon and caliper gauges for a couple of hours,and had decided that, rather than continuing restoration work on some old banger (!!) he would treat us to his very pleasant singing and guitar playing instead. Unlike the previous night he eschewed Mustang Sally and High Heel Sneakers and shared his softer side with us. More Gerry Rafferty and Elvis. 
       There was also a couple there I had not seen before. A lady who played guitar and who had a nice singing voice and her partner,with a folding wallet full of blues harps and a beatbox which he would occasionally sit astride and beat out percussion backing from. Very entertaining. Their version of "Diamonds and Rust " was haunting. 
      I went mostly for an unaccompanied Irish theme, what with St.Patrick's Day coming up this weekend. I began with my first ever public rendition of of  "The Galway Shawl." It went well so next I risked all and chucked in  my own tongue in cheek song  "The Impromptu Irish Band" next. I got away with that too, so I added "Di Di The Ice Cream Man." Other than singing "Peets and Shillows"  instead of Sheets and Pillows in the final verse, that seemed o.k. Over confident by now I went  back over the water for a finale with  "Peggy Gordon " All was going well until the verse about the pretty small birds went awol and I had to improvise.the following lines.. ( Serves me right for not concentrating whilst singing and looking at the signwriting on a shop front across the road too closely)
      I  will be back. And not just for the sausage sandwiches.